If you are looking to relive the golden era of roller skating, there is no better way than by listening to old skating rink songs that set the wheels in motion.
The 80s were a time when roller skating soared in popularity, and the rinks were filled with groovy beats that kept skaters gliding and dancing all night long!
In this blog post, we will take a trip down memory lane and explore some of the best roller skating songs 80s, including classic roller skating songs and songs about roller skating.
- Best Music for Roller Skating in the 80s
- 1. “Celebration” by Kool & The Gang
- 2. “Rapper’s Delight” by Sugarhill Gang
- 3. “Funky Town” by Lipps Inc.
- 4. “Push It” by Salt-N-Pepa
- 5. “Let’s Groove” by Earth, Wind & Fire
- 6. “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” by Whitney Houston
- 7. “Billie Jean” by Michael Jackson
- 7. “Walk Like an Egyptian” by The Bangles
- 8. “It Takes Two” by Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock
- 9. “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper
- 10. “I’m So Excited” by The Pointer Sisters
- 11. “Jam On It” by Newcleus
- 12. “Footloose” by Kenny Loggins
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Music for Roller Skating in the 80s
Let’s get rolling and rediscover the magic of old skating rink songs through roller skating music video 80s!
1. “Celebration” by Kool & The Gang
This infectious track by Kool & The Gang became an anthem of joy and celebration, making it a staple at roller skating rinks. Its catchy chorus and funky beats had skaters gliding across the floor with smiles on their faces.
2. “Rapper’s Delight” by Sugarhill Gang
As one of the pioneering tracks of hip hop, “Rapper’s Delight” was an instant hit on roller skating rinks. The infectious rhythm and playful lyrics created a perfect blend of funk and rap, making it an irresistible choice for skaters.
3. “Funky Town” by Lipps Inc.
A disco song with an infectious beat, “Funky Town” became a favorite among roller skaters. The iconic music’s upbeat tempo and groovy bassline made it impossible to resist hitting the rink and showcasing your moves.
4. “Push It” by Salt-N-Pepa
Released in the late 80s, “Push It” by Salt-N-Pepa was iconic roller skate music 80’s. With its energetic beats and empowering lyrics, this hip-hop track had skaters spinning and grooving with style.
5. “Let’s Groove” by Earth, Wind & Fire
This feel-good disco and R&B fusion from Earth, Wind & Fire had skaters grooving on the roller rink floor. The energetic beats and uplifting lyrics make it a timeless skating anthem.
6. “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” by Whitney Houston
Whitney Houston’s infectious pop hit became an instant favorite at the 1980s roller skating rinks. The catchy melody and Whitney’s powerful vocals had skaters twirling and dancing with joy.
7. “Billie Jean” by Michael Jackson
A legendary hit by Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” had skaters gliding and moonwalking on the roller rink. Its iconic bassline and memorable chorus still captivate audiences today.
7. “Walk Like an Egyptian” by The Bangles
Despite being amongst late 80s roller skating songs, the catchy pop-rock sound of The Bangles’ “Walk Like an Egyptian” was a go-to song for roller skaters in the 80s. Its upbeat tempo and playful lyrics made it impossible to resist joining in on the fun.
8. “It Takes Two” by Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock
This hip-hop classic brought a high-energy vibe to roller skating rinks. With its infectious beats and catchy samples, “It Takes Two” became a favorite for skaters looking to show off their moves.
9. “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper
This upbeat and empowering anthem by Cyndi Lauper was what made it so popular back in the 80s. Its catchy melody and playful lyrics had skaters singing along while gliding across the rink.
10. “I’m So Excited” by The Pointer Sisters
The energetic and upbeat vibes of “I’m So Excited” made it a must-play song. The catchy chorus and dynamic vocals of The Pointer Sisters could make everyone buzzing with excitement on the rink.
11. “Jam On It” by Newcleus
This hip-hop-infused track by the Bee Gees was one of the best songs for skating in its day. The infectious rhythm and rap made it impossible to resist hitting the rink and dancing to the beat.
12. “Footloose” by Kenny Loggins
As the theme song from the iconic movie of the same name, “Footloose” became popular due to its catchy melody and energetic rhythm. The mesmerizing dance in the music video also inspired several skaters to follow suit on the rink.
Frequently Asked Questions
What other roller skating songs were popular in the 80s?
A: In addition to the mentioned roller skate songs, other popular roller skating songs from the 80s include:
- “Super Freak” by Rick James
- “You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)” by Dead or Alive
- “Give It to Me Baby” by Rick James,
- “Footloose” by Kenny Loggins
Was roller skating popular in the 80s?
A: Absolutely! Roller skating experienced a surge in popularity during the 80s. Skating rinks became social hubs where people gathered to have fun, dance, and enjoy the music of the decade.
The roller skating rinks of the 80s were alive with infectious energy and vibrant music that brought people together. From disco to hip hop, the roller skating songs of that era continue to evoke nostalgia and joy.
If you are in the mood for a retro experience, give these best roller skating songs of the 80s a spin and let the rhythm guide your movements.
Harrison is a skating enthusiast who picked up the sport during her student exchange years in Canada. She has been a skating coach for children and teens for 3 years and now holds classes as a freelancer. Harrison entwines her experience leading skating classes in the content published on Cora to help readers fall in love with skating, just like she did.