One of the best parts of skating is skidding fast through the ice. Unfortunately, it does not occur miraculously. You will have to work your way up to your top speed.
So, How to Skate Faster?
While there are no skating techniques to ramp up your speed, there are a few things that you can do, like taking exercises for skating strength, to reach higher speeds on the ice. We will look through all of them in this detailed blog guide. If you want to ice skate fast like the stars you see on NHL skating, read on!
- 8 Things to Do to Skate Faster
- Some Other Helpful Ice Skating Tips
8 Things to Do to Skate Faster
Some Other Helpful Ice Skating Tips
- When pushing off for strides on the ice, push down with your entire foot, not your toes.
- Push your butt back to activate the glutes and relieve the load on your thighs.
- Do not place your weight on the inner edges when you push off, as this slows you down.
- Avoid rolling your ankle to maintain stability and power when you push off.
- Warm up before skating with dynamic stretches to ensure your muscles are ready.
- Consider taking power stroking classes at ice skating rinks.
Now that you have gone through this blog guide on how to skate faster, you can go ahead and apply everything that you have read! From striding forward skaters exercises to sprints and muscle workouts, there is plenty to do to become a faster skater.
If you still have any questions keeping you from taking the initiative to reach your top speeds on the ice, we will be happy to help! Just reach out to us in the comments down below.
Harrison is a skating enthusiast who picked up the sport during her student exchange years in Canada. She has been a skating coach for children and teens for 3 years and now holds classes as a freelancer. Harrison entwines her experience leading skating classes in the content published on Cora to help readers fall in love with skating, just like she did.